Ph.D., Plant Pathology and Microbiology, University of California Riverside, 1988
M.S., Plant Pathology and Microbiology, University of California Riverside, 1984
B.S., Botany and Plant Science, University of California Riverside, 1981
- Texas A&M Vice-Chancellor’s Award in Technology Innovation (2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012).
- Department of Plant Pathology and Microbiology Outstanding Professor Award (2007).
- Texas A&M Vice-Chancellor’s Award in Excellence: Individual Research Off Campus (2006).
- American Phytopathological Society Syngenta Award (2002).
- American Society for Virology.
- American Society of Plant Biologists.
- American Phytopathological Society.
- Southern Division American Phytopathological Society (Past Senior Editor for Phytopathology and Associate Editor for Plant Disease).
- American Association for the Advancement of Science.
- Lin Y-H, Gao S-J, Damaj MB, Fu H-Y, Chen R-K, Mirkov T.E (2014) Genome characterization of sugarcane yellow leaf virus from China reveals a novel recombinant genotype. Arch. Virol. 159:1421-1429.
- Barros GOF, Ballen MAT, Woodard SL, Wilken LR, White SG, Damaj MB, Mirkov TE, Nikolov ZL (2013) Recovery of bovine lysozyme from transgenic sugarcane stalks: extraction, membrane filtration, and purification. Bioprocess Biosyst Eng. 36:1407-1416.
- Gao SJ, Damas MB, Park JW, Beyene G, Buenrostro-Nava MT, Molina J, Wang X, Ciomperlik JJ, Manabayeva SA, Alvarado VY, Rathore KS, Scholthof HB, Mirkov TE (2013) Enhanced transgene expression in sugarcane by co-expression of virus-encoded RNA silencing suppressors. PLoS ONE 8:e66046.
- Marutani-Hert M, Bowman KD, McCollum GT, Mirkov TE, Evens TJ, Niedz RP (2012) A dark incubation period is important for Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of mature internode explants of sweet orange, grapefruit, citron, and a citrange rootstock. PLoS ONE 7:e47426.
- Gao SJ, Lin YH, Pan YB, Damas MB, Wang QN, Mirkov TE, Chen RK (2012) Molecular characterization and phylogenetic analysis of Sugarcane yellow leaf virus isolates from China. Virus Genes 45:340-349.
- da Costa Silva S, Marques A, dos Santos Soares Filho W, Mirkov TE, Pedrosa-Harand A, Guerra M (2011) The cytogenetic map of the Poncirus trifoliate (L.) Raf.-A nomenclature system for chromosomes of all citric species. Tropical Plant Biol. 4:99-105.
- Beyene G, Buenrostro-Nava MT, Damaj MB, Gao SJ, Molina J, Mirkov TE (2011) Unprecedented enhancement of transient gene expression from minimal cassettes using a double terminator. Plant Cell Rep. 30:13-25.
- Damaj MB, Beremand PD, Buenrostro-Nava MT, Ivy J, Kumpatla SP, Jifon J, Beyene G, Yu Q, Thomas TL, Mirkov TE (2010) Isolating promoters of multigene family members from the polyploid sugarcane genome by PCR-based walking in BAC DNA. Genome 53:840-847.
- Damaj MB, Kumpatla SP, Emani C, Beremand PD, Reddy AS, Rathore KS, Buenrostro-Nava MT, Curtis IS, Thomas TL, Mirkov TE (2010) Sugarcane DIRIGENT and O-METHYLTRANSFERASE promoters conf stem-regulated gene expression in diverse monocots. Planta 231:1439-1458.
- Damaj MB, Beremand PD, Buenrostro-Nava MT, Riedel B, Molina JJ, Kumpatla SP, Thomas TL, Mirkov TE (2009) Reproducible RNA preparation from sugarcane and citrus for functional genomic applications. Int. J. of Plant Genomics 2009:1-13.
- Wen I, Mallik I, Alvarado VY, Pasche JS, Wang X, Li W, Levy L, Lin H, Scholthof HB, Mirkov TE, Rush CM, Gudmestad NC (2009) Detection, distribution, and genetic variability of ‘Candidatus Liberibacter’ species associated with zebra complex disease of potato in North America. Plant Disease 93:1102-1115.
- Mangwende T, Wang M-L, Borth W, Hu J, Moore PH, Mirkov TE, Albert HH (2009) The PO gene of Sugarcane yellow leaf virus encodes an RNA silencing suppressor with unique activities. Virology 384: 38-50.
- Moraes AP, Mirkov TE, Guerra M (2008) Mapping the chromosomes of Poncirus trifoliate Raf. by BAC-FISH. Cytogenetic Genome Research 121:277-281.
- Xu D-L, Park J-W, Mirkov TE, Zhou GH (2008) Viruses causing mosaic disease in sugarcane and their diversity in southern China. Arch. Virol. 153:1031-1039.
- Park SO, Crosby KM, Mirkov TE (2007) Detection of loci for cucurbit yellow stunting disorder virus resistance in Cucumis melo L. Acta Hort. 763:207-214.
- Ahmad YA, Rassaby L, Royer M, Borg Z, Braithwaite KS, Mirkov TE, Irey MS, Perrier X, Smith GR, Rott P (2006) Yellow leaf of sugarcane is caused by at least three different genotypes of sugarcane yellow leaf virus, one of which predominates on the Island of Reunion. Arch. Virol. 151:1355-1371.
- Getu B, Curtis IS, Damaj MB, Buenrostro-Nava MT, Mirkov TE (2013) Genetic engineering of Saccharum. In: Genomics of the Saccharinae, Chapter 11, Publisher: Springer, Editors: Andrew H. Paterson, pp.223-254.
- Mirkov TM, Yang Z-N, Rai M, Molina JJ, Roose ML, Ye X-R (2010) Towards positional cloning of the Citrus tristeza virus resistance gene. In: Citrus Tristeza Virus Complex and Tristeza Diseases, Editors: AV Karasev and ME Hilf. APS Press, pp.187-202.
- Grosser JW, Gmitter Jr. FG, Orbovic V, Moore GA, Graham JH, Soneji J, Gonzalez-Romos J, Mirkov TE, Kayim M (2008) In: Grapefruit, Editors: Kole C and Hall TC. A compendium of transgenic crop plants. Volume 5. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Ingelbrech I, Mirkov TE, Dixon AG, Menkir A (2006) Epigenetic lessons from transgenic plants. In: Floricultural, Ornamental and Plant Biotechnology: Advances and topical issues (1st Edition), Teixeira da Silva JA (editor), Global Science Books, London, UK, pp.88-97.
- Ming R, Moore PH, Wu KK, DiHont A, Glaszmann JC, Tew TL, Mirkov TE, da Silva J, Jifon J, Rai M, Schnell RJ, Brumbley SM, Lakshmanan P, Comstock JC, Paterson AH (2005) Sugarcane improvement through breeding and biotechnology. Plant Breeding Reviews 27:15-118.
- Mirkov et al. (2012) “Methods and constructs for producing transgenic plants and methods of recovering expressed proteins.” US Patent No. 8,252,5552
- Mirkov et al. (2011) “Stem-regulated, plant defense promoter and uses thereof in tissue-specific expression in monocots.” US Patent No. 7,973,217
- Mirkov et al. (2010) “Methods and constructs for producing transgenic plants and methods of recovering expressed proteins.” US Patent No. 7,816,506
- Mirkov et al. (2010) “Stem-regulated, plant defense promoter and uses thereof in tissue-specific expression in monocots.” US Patent No. 7,754,946
- Mirkov and Ingelbrecht (2009) “Isolation of proteins involved in posttranscriptional gene silencing and methods of use.” US Patent No. 7,632,936
- Mirkov et al. (2008) “Stem-regulated, plant defense promoter and uses thereof in tissue-specific expression in monocots.” US Patent No. 7,323,622
- Mirkov et al. (2007) “Stem-regulated, plant defense promoter and uses thereof in tissue-specific expression in monocots.” US Patent No. 7,253,276
- Mirkov et al. (2006) “Regulatory element from a sugarcane proline rich protein and uses thereof.” US Patent No. 7,141,427